Saturday, August 18, 2007

I WIN! (...and other important stuff)

First of all, I have finally won a caption contest over at the Mattress Police. View my glorious prize, a digitally signed photo, complete with the winning caption:

Hoorah for me. Figures I'd win the one with a comic book theme....
----------------------------------------------------

Second, and most important:
I wanted to share with you my father's efforts on a new Web 2.0 application called Voicethread. Those of you who know me know that my father is a great artist...those who don't know that now have a chance to view some of his work, complete with audio comments from the artist himself.
Below I have embedded one of his voicethreads, which are all of his painted or drawn portraits. For real, they're really not photographs. (Well, they're photographs of paintings, but you get the idea). You will see with the subject matter of the first portrait why I am including this one, even though pops throws me under the bus with the hair thing pretty early on. Use the arrows to navigate between portraits, and use the magnifying glass to zoom in.



If this spiked your interest, or if portraits aren't your thing, you can see his other voicethreads that include:
Landscape Paintings
Animal Paintings
Etchings
Still Life Paintings
Paintings from The Ottawa Series

As you can see, he's an amazing talent, and we're pretty proud of him. If any of you are in the market for a commission or some existing artwork you can email him here. Especially those of you who might, oh, I dunno, be building a new house and need some artwork for the walls.

If you're into art with a more modern bent, my father was kind enough to pass allllllll of his artistic genes onto his daughter, bypassing me altogether (I instead received his scathing wit, which she also received, so it's just not fair all the way around). You can see my sister Emily's work here: (click on "pics")

Back with more crumminess next week.

Apparently, I'm welcome on humor-blogs.com 's couch any time.

Keep 'em coming.

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your victory, sir!

    Also, I believe I have some artistic jeans somewhere that you could borrow. They have paint all over them, mind.

    At east, I think it's paint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LL: Did they wear jeans back in your day? I figured you might have some artistic knickers for me instead.

    JVirgil: Indeed. I checked out your blog...great stuff! Mind if I "borrow" that Light of Jesus sign you posted? With linkage, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. first, CONGRATS on your "big" win! (yeah, i'm jealous, but that doesn't mean i'm NOT happy for you, my friend!)

    second... WOW. seriously, just wow. guess talent (of ALL sorts) runs in the family, eh? color me impressed. i'd write more, but i think i'd like to spend a little time exploring these works of your dad's! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Ironic CatholicAugust 20, 2007 at 9:34 AM

    I'm impressed too--with both pop and sis. I myself do great stick figures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my, the "talent" just keeps on, er, coming around here, doesn't it? why yes, yes it does! okay, actually, your newest talented and/or hilarious offering is currently being featured on THE SNARK, but that's beside the point. no, wait... that is the point! once again your post, like every one in your family (apparently), is BRILLIANT! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Based on the quality of those portraits, I'm going to guess that his services are a few thousand dollars out of my price range. Just a few, mind you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Probably not as high as you might think.

    ReplyDelete