Sunday, May 13, 2007

You could catch a Spiritually Transmitted Disease

submitted by new contributor Kasey Swanke, WI
So if I visit Utah, should I wrap myself in latex?
------------------------------------------------------------------

submitted by new contributor Rev. Stan R.
...and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the desire to take a machete, lighter fluid, and a torch to this sign. For thine is the kingdom....


NOTE: Crummy Church Signs does not in any way endorse the machete-ing or burning of any church signs, no matter how crummy they may appear. Please note that it took the place of "evil" in the original Lord's Prayer. All rights reserved, offer void in Quebec.
---------------------------------------------------------------

submitted AND asst. reviewed by frequent contributor Jennie Sowers, IN
A good laugh is like a hole in my roof?
----------------------------------------------

submitted by frequent contributor Jennie Sowers, IN
That new one she got is full of lies, though.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

submitted AND reviewed by frequent contributor Duane B., VA
The time I took to read this sign?
---------------------------------------------------

"If the shoe fits, get another just like it"
submitted by frequent contributor Jennifer B.
Or buy one for your other foot instead.
-----------------------------------------------------
“Touch base with God before you strike out.”
submitted by Christine, VA
Geez...exactly what base do they want me to get to with God?
And, as a baseball purist, I must note that they completely mixed their metaphors. Touching bases has nothing to do with striking out. It would have been accurate to say "Make sure you hit God's balls before you strike out." And it would have made about as much sense theologically.
---------------------------------------------------------

"Don't watch us grow- come grow with us"
submitted AND reviewed by frequent contributor Emily Bezaire, TN
Ch-ch-ch-Chia Church!
----------------------------------------------------------
"The lion of the tribe of Judah: Where's your roar?"
two sides of the same sign, submitted by frequent contributor Emily Bezaire, TN
Sorry, I only brought my snarl with me today.
----------------------------------------------------------
I would like to congratulate myself and my amazing contributors (many of whom were new) for what I feel might be the funniest single post in the history of CCS. Ridiculous signs, and some especially snarky and funny reviews from everybody. Well done, if I do say so myself. And.... I do.
Which leads me to this point...when I started this blog, I figured it would go for a while, and eventually all I would receive are signs I had already posted, then I would stop posting and everybody would lose interest. I was wrong. I am approaching 600 signs, now. SIX....HUNDRED....DIFFERENT...SIGNS. And this new batch has two of the worst I have ever received (the first two). I am now realizing that this stupid blog might never end.
Am I part of the problem? I had originally hoped to be part of the solution, by pointing out the absurdity that we Christians say and do (I say "we" meaning "me and my fellow Christians"). But it seems that all that has happened from this blog's inception is that churches are making more of an effort to look silly. Is there a secret underground sect of church leaders that endeavors to see themselves on this blog? Is my plan backfiring? What have I done?!?!
I want other hobbies. I want to write about other things. I want crummy church signs to go away. But it's now becoming obvious that in a few years time, I will be "celebrating" my 2000th Crummy Church Sign, or some equally ridiculous anniversary.
Sigh........
----------------------------------
I don't usually participate when I am "tagged" with "memes" (I didn't know what that meant either), but I had some time on my hands, so if you are interested to read about me, Joel, the person behind CCS, you can read the comments section of my previous post.
Thanks to Nic for "tagging" me. Part of the rules say I have to tag 7 more people. I feel like being a rulebreaker tonight.
----------------------------------
Humor-blogs.com is like sunshine in the house.

6 comments:

  1. The Ironic CatholicMay 14, 2007 at 9:58 AM

    Funniest post ever. Although the Reformed one below had me on the floor. I'm rarely sympathetic to John Calvin, but I was then.

    But yes, the worst signs ever...it's a mixed victory of sorts....

    IC

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good laugh is sunshine in the house, but a good snark is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Joel, these are among the crummiest (and funniest!) signs ever.

    I, too, had wondered whether there was an underground movement to make church signs crummier. But maybe it's just that I'm now attuned to bad church signs, and since I pay more attention to them, I erroneously think they're getting worse. They've just been sh**ty all along.

    Keep up the awesome work. I'll be sending you a few horrible ones later this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope God is wearing a cup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BAAHAHAAA!! I'm with Dan--hit God's....? Or technically, God would throw you his balls, but he'd throw 'em way outside to walk you...because he thinks you're Barry Bonds and doesn't want you to break Hank Aaron's record...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am I the only one who thought at first glance that the sign said "A good laugh is sunshine in the nose? Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.

    ReplyDelete