Wednesday, June 6, 2007

You don't count your blessings when you're sittin' at the table...

submitted AND reviewed by frequent contributor Duane B., VA
Please rise and turn to #427 in the "Kenny Rogers Hymnal".
---------------------------------------------------

submitted by frequent contributor Scott Dowling, TN
Walmart: Always low-quality sermons. Always.
---------------------------------------------------------------

submitted by frequent contributor Jennie Sowers, IN
This isn't a church sign, I just thought it was funny. And all along I thought He was a carpenter.
-------------------------------------------------------

"Laziness and poverty are cousins"
Jacob (the sign's photographer) does a nice job deconstructing this sign on the Flickr site. I don't feel I need to add too much. This one makes me more sad than angry. How far the church has strayed from Christ's message and earthly ministry...
-------------------------------------------------------
"The Bible is more up to date than tomorrow's paper."
submitted and asst. reviewed by frequent contributor Mile High Pixie, CO
As an added bonus, it contains tomorrow's lottery numbers, too!
-------------------------------------------------------
"God didn't do it all in one day - what makes you think you can?"
I don't think it's a matter of "time" that's keeping me from creating the entire cosmos.
--------------------------------------------------
Bethany from Unneccessary Quotation Marks (along with a number of other readers) passed along this article from Slate about the history of church signs. Thanks, all!
-------------------------------------------------
Laziness and humor-blogs.com are cousins.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, I like the new format. It's been over a week since I've been here. I like what you've done with the place. Did this have anything to do with the reviews over at Humor-blogs? I saw another blog whom everyone said they hated the black background and he changed it. D'OH! I'm in trouble then because mine too is black. :0P
    BUT I WON'T CONFORM I TELL YOU! I JUST WON'T!!!!!!

    Kenny Rogers Hymnal... HA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I started hearing before humor-blogs reviews that dark backgrounds were not very popular.

    Plus, it had been 2.5 years with the old template...I figured it was time for a change.

    Don't worry, yours is still nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I have my Garish Pernicious Sign!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice...at the moment I am pondering if Icelandic church signs might help you in anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, nice blog. I'm so glad my current church doesn't do this. I wish I had took a picture of my all time favorite. I saw on a sign for a small missionary baptist church in Georgia. It said,
    "Visitors welcome, Members expected"
    Guess they have trouble getting return customers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "The Bible is more up to date than tomorrow's paper."

    Cool! I always wanted to be Gary Hobson!

    ReplyDelete