Saturday, February 16, 2008

Special Weekend Crumminess!

submitted by new contributors Nate and Heidi Gilmore
I tried to leave a trail of bread crumbs, but The Father's children kept eating them...
------------------------------------------------

submitted by new contributor Greg Scheiderer
Is that why all the hymnals are upside down in the pews this week?!?

PS: What does the top line of the sign mean? "12th Sunday in Ordinary Time"....is that a denominational thing of which I'm not aware?!?
-------------------------------------------------

submitted by Jessy R.
I can't top Jessy's story behind this picture, so I'm just going to copy and paste from the email:

"The cop who pulled up behind me while I was taking this shot in the rain at 11:30 pm didn't understand the crumminess of this sign. After searching my camera case, and ensuring that I wasn't plotting to blow up the church, he was willing to listen to my explanation. I informed him of a site that "features church signs" (small town…didn't want to offend him if he was a member), and that I was hoping to submit this shot. He looked back and forth from my camera to the sign before muttering (and I'm quoting):

'Spiritually poor? Yeah, and I'm a cop to I'm financially poor too. Thanks for the reminder.' "

--------------------------------------------------------------

"What on earth are you doing for heaven's sake?"
submitted by new contributor Arlo Rader
Uh oh...I've been doing it for Pete's sake all this time!
-------------------------------------------------------------

"What the church needs is less block and more tackle."
What church signs need are more kicking.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Clearly....CLEARLY....you will want to be back here on Monday. Have you not noticed all the little icons teasing a big Monday announcement? What about the countdown ticker at the top of the sidebar?!?
Come Monday, you will be adding a bookmark to your internet browser. Period. 'Nuff said. Visit back then and see what it is.



-------------------------------------------------------------

Humor-blogs.com disturbs things.

Keep 'em coming.

10 comments:

  1. Ordinary Time - Mostly Catholic, but some other denominations follow it. Here is the Wikipedia description, which is not bad.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordinary_Time

    ReplyDelete
  2. The problem with that, scott, is that we're well into Lent by now. And I'm not sure if we've even HAD twelve weeks since Advent began. Maybe the picture is older? From some time last, um, May?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right, it was taken in June. Sorry about my blindness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and my favorite sign recently said--"Healthy Sexuality this weekend" I'm pretty open minded, but my mouth fell open. Even more horrifying is that I actually go to that church, and work on their communication team! I understand what they were trying to say, but the wording just seemed a little off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joel, I would have never known what that meant either, but my house church recently did some studying of the Christian Calendar, which includes the seasons or celebrations of Avent, Epiphany, Lent, Easter. It's used by Catholics, and many protestant denominations. The term 'ordinary time' means counted time, not that it's ordinary or plain. Ordinary time begins the first Sunday after Epiphany, which is the first Sunday after January 1st each year. Wikipedia has some great info, like another commenter noted. If this something that you want to look at further, you can also check out the 'Revised Common Lectionary', which leads churches through the Bible in three years, with four passages each Sunday. The reading correspond with what is happening on the Christian Calendar.

    Sorry for such a long comment, but studying the whole thing was really interesting to me, and it's neat to be able to answer other questions.

    And, I love the signs! Keep 'em coming! I will definitely be sending some in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I just realized that my two comments contradicted each other. The church I work at is a large mega-church, and the house church is completely different and does not, in fact, have a sign. The house church is my main church. I promise, this is my last comment on this post! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The worst thing about ordinary time is that everything is green and I hate green.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's a tip to the church that put up the "spiritually poor" sign: the secret to being spiritually poor is to attend a Christian church and believe in the anti-spiritual nonsense they spew on a daily basis.

    The secret to being spiritually rich is to follow one's own morals and insights, and to not follow organized religion.

    Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not buying all that "church calendar" stuff in the comments above about "ordinary time." I'm pretty sure that the REAL story is that Dr. Who is pastor of that church.

    Francois... I think you've missed an important point... being "poor in spirit" is a good thing. Jesus thought it was, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reverend Doctor Who? The church could be a huge mega church and a small chapel at the same time.

    ReplyDelete