Wednesday, June 4, 2008

We'll never tell!

"Wonder what goes on here between weddings and funerals?"
submitted by The Grammarphile
Preparation for the next wedding or funeral?

---------------------------------------------------------------

"Love will come with God"
submitted AND reviewed by frequent contributor S. K. Sutton
But does it come with fries?

----------------------------------------------------------

"Dare to live without limitations!
Sun 8, 10:30 AM & 6 PM"
submitted/asst reviewed by frequent contributor S. K. Sutton
The rest of the week you should probably know your boundaries.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"Desperate House Lives"
submitted by new contributer Bibberly
Sundays following Extreme Church Makeover.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"You asked 'Why Hell?' "
submitted by frequent contributor Sarah R.
Why Hell? Have you seen the real estate prices in Heaven? Pretty soon it'll cost somebody their firstborn to get into there!

Oh...never mind...

------------------------------------------------------------------

So there was a little controversy with yesterday's post. I debated all afternoon about addressing it or just leaving it all alone. I finally decided that if I chase enough of you people away then I won't have to write this blog anymore :)

Seriously, though...Over the last 3+ years I have gone out of my way to pick on every flavor and denomination of Christianity, plus plenty that aren't associated with Christianity. We can debate about theology and the like (and maybe some of you would like to) but that's not why this blog exists (though we can start another blog for that purpose, if you like).

The point of this blog is this: As Christians, NONE of us do as good a job of following Jesus as we should. Me included. If that makes you uncomfortable, then good: That's what I'm here for. I'm not here to laugh solely at other people's expense; I need to laugh at my expense, too. That way I might spur myself on to changing some things in myself, and maybe spur some change in others also.

If you call yourself a Christian and you're not here for that same reason, if you can't laugh at yourself, then this probably isn't a site that you want to frequent. That doesn't bother me one bit.

If you aren't a Christian and are just here to laugh at the strange people with the crummy signs, then you're welcome too. Just understand that a lot of us feel we should be representing our Savior a whole lot better than we do.

--------------------------------------------------------

Get your votes in on the caption contest!


-------------------------------------------------------


This post cross-posted on:

Humor-Blogs.com

Alltop Humor

N.I.T.

----------------------------------------------

Submit!

12 comments:

  1. ::applauds::

    Well said, Joel. Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to Sarah R.

    One of the best comments on a sign I have seen. It hits home...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That first one sounds like the premise for a "Christian" horror movie.

    "Live without limitations": go to two different churches at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true. All faiths are picked on, occasionally. How can we thoroughly poke fun at the signs without, occasionally, including the church behind the sign?
    I, myself, poke fun at my religion and everyone elses, as well. It is called humor. You cannot make a cake w/out breaking a few eggs and pissing off some chickens.
    Keep up the humor, Joel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joel - I think the point is that you are poking fun at the inane and thoughtless stuff that is put out there in the name of religion. You've commented on the dumb things people put in God's "mouth" on these signs, but I haven't thought you are picking on God -- but if you are, watch out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Denominations and local churches are all human organizations that have a bureaucracy's flaws and often illogical tenets especially when taken out of context.

    Fine job addressing those that are willing to poke fun at others but can't tolerate a little scrutiny themselves.

    I’m still back at the point where I can’t accept people who believe that God sat down and dictated the bible verbatim…as well as all translations while he was at it. Humans wrote it, humans translated it. And usually wealthy humans (King James anyone?) who had reasons to manipulate the masses (anyone thinking Pope and Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson?).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel a little offended that you haven't picked on Reformed Christians for a while? Presbyterians? Anything?

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Wonder what goes on here between weddings and funerals?"

    Don't know about that
    But I do know that there is one less drunk at the funerals.

    Oops, Irish-Catholic joke about a Presbyterian sign..


    Actually, that sign is pretty clever

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Will Come With God ==> upside-down M alert!

    Maybe I should start a blog for this. And other mangled letters. Or does one exist?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That top sign said Levittown.
    I read that as Levitation.

    Am I the only one who thinks the Church of Levitation would be AWESOME?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't think the Joe Smith thing was any more offensive than "And Jesus, don't forget to wake us up before you go-go."

    ReplyDelete
  12. Andy: The thing is, to Mormons, Joseph Smith is on par with Peter. Y'all might joke about Peter, but it doesn't seem to me like any of you here would go so far as to joke that he "made it all up."

    ReplyDelete