Friday, July 25, 2008

Don't wear your "Sunday Best" this week:


"Removing weeds from gardens. Matthew 13."
submitted by frequent contributors Ryan and Nancy DeVries
It's a new concept in church services: You perform manual labor around the church grounds while the sermon is pumped out over loudspeakers.


Note: What's interesting is the parable in Matthew 13 is the parable of the wheat and tares, similar to the one referenced in the previous post (the "...bearded darnel" sign.) However, that parable isn't meant to be about how we remove "weeds" from "gardens". At least, that's not how Jesus explained it.

------------------------------------------------------------


"Patience is a virtue which carries a lot of wait!"
seen here on Flickr by frequent contributor Ironic Catholic
And gluttony is a vice that carries a lot of....oh, never mind.

--------------------------------------------------------

"In Sweden, it is illegal to teach a seal to balance a ball on it's nose."
submitted AND reviewed by Minh N.
....but here in America, have we got a show for you!!


(Man, I wish there was a picture of this one...)

-----------------------------------------------------------

"Save money on gas: Walk with God."
submitted AND reviewed by Kendra N.
Disclaimer: Walking with God will not actually save you money on gas.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to all of you who have been willing to vote for me on humor-blogs. Since an initial downturn when this new rating system began, Crummy Church Signs has been FLYING up the charts of funny blogs. I really, really appreciate it and hope you don't grow too tired of my nagging (or the voting) :)

For those of you already on BlogCatalog, please add me as a friend and give a review of my blog. It seems like the next-best aggregator of humor blogs, so I decided to give it a whirl and see if I can't continue to increase traffic around these parts.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Finally for today: I need submissions , ESPECIALLY picture submissions. So if some of my frequent contributors out there are sitting on a stockpile, this would be a great time to send 'em in. As of now, I have Monday's post covered and that's it! It's been a while since I've been this short. I chalk it up to summer doldrums (it happened last summer as well, I believe). Just remember to take your cameras with you on your family vacations to snap pictures of all the crumminess!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------



Click these, please:



Alltop Humor

N.I.T.

----------------------------------------------

Submit!

8 comments:

  1. So that first one would be church discipline Sunday? Yeah, if the field is the world (as Jesus says), then not only do WE not weed, but weeding won't get done at all 'til the end.

    I do like the idea of giving the congregation manual labor with the sermon pumped through loudspeakers. My folks would probably enjoy that.

    When you're short on pics, just present it as "classic" or "retro" CCS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walking with God:
    Your mileage may vary

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I thought Matthew (13) was getting some help from mom (dad?) to get a summer job pulling weeds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. one or more pics coming your way tomorrow....real groaners.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's a church sign I saw a couple of weeks ago:

    "There are no outcasts here."

    Boy, that could SO be read another way....

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, it's a massive shame--Rickey was in PA three weekends ago (in Mennonite country to be precice) and sweey fancy moses did Rickey see some great church signs. Sadly, Rickey was without a camera... Damnit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Ironic CatholicJuly 27, 2008 at 7:08 AM

    Joel--I'm on vacation in Alabama, home of bad church signs, and have found squat. What's wrong the deep South? It's failing me!

    ReplyDelete