Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Make Diesel Read A Book

New friend to Crummy Church Signs Diesel from Mattress Police (who may well also be my West Coast Doppelganger) has posted the Lamest Contest Ever on his blog. In it, contestants are to suggest which books Diesel reads while he takes the next year off work, the lucky &*^#&$. (I added that last little phrase, it's not actually part of the official wording of the contest).

Here is my suggestion for a book for "The Deez" (only I, his East Coast Doppelganger, am allowed to use the nickname to his nickname).

The Gun Seller, by Hugh Laurie

Hugh Laurie, for those of you who don't watch good television, plays Dr. House on the Fox television show appropriately titled "House". He also starred in the BBC Productions of A Bit of Fry and Laurie, Black Adder, and Jeeves & Wooster, the latter based on the famous books by P. G. Wodehouse (which I almost suggested to Diesel, as he did not include any Wodehouse on his reading list.) He (Hugh Laurie, not Diesel) was also in some Jane Austen movie that my wife likes that put me to sleep, but please do not hold that against him (though you may hold it against Diesel if it suits your needs).

Hugh Laurie is one funny Brit, and this book is hilarious. As one comment on Amazon.com noted, The Gun Seller is like "James Bond as written by P.G. Wodehouse." And it really, really is.

PG-13 for language. Read it if you like reading. Diesel: enjoy!!

Click here to read the rules for the Lamest Contest Ever, and help suggest books for Diesel.



PS: I may have incorrectly used the word "doppelganger" twice in this post. I meant for it to mean "copycat". Run with that definition, please.

Keep the crummy signs coming here.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that's awesome. I had no idea he wrote anything. People have told me that I remind them of House (and I'm not entirely sure they mean that in a good way).

    For such an excellent suggestion, I will forgive you for calling me "The Deez."

    The Gun Seller it is!

    Man, maybe this "contest" isn't so lame after all. At least for me. That's the second cool sounding book someone has suggested that I never heard of.

    Thanks, Joel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read 'The Gun Seller'. Hugh has many talents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had enough time to do something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I have never heard of the Gunseller. I will definitely have to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude!!

    I love Wodehouse, love Bond, love Laurie - how have I never heard of this?

    THANK YOU!!! ^_^

    Stephen Fry (Jeeves) has a couple out, too. I have one but haven't read it yet (I have a husge "to-read" stack.)

    ReplyDelete